I did it. Me. I DID it!
I’m so happy with myself for sticking with this fast. There were times when I wanted to cheat, there were times when I REALLY wanted to cheat, there were times when I couldn’t stand the thought of juicing but did anyway, and there were times when I almost just said “why the hell am I doing this??”. But, I stuck with it, and now it’s done! Even though it was only 10 days and I don’t compare to those going for the gusto with many more, I am just plain proud of myself.
Juice. Just juice. Sounds easy enough doesn’t it? “I like juice” you may say, “I could do that no problem” you may so naively add. Really? Let’s see you do it then!
As a reflection on my experience, I would say a couple of things:
1. If you need to lose a lot of weight, this is the diet for you. I would recommend at least 10 days to start, but probably more like 30. The results are HUGE and it is so regimented that there is literally no room for “fudging” the rules. It’s straight forward, provides results, and is easier than going to the gym if you are someone that hates working out.
2. If you don’t need to lose weight and you are just doing the fast for a reboot in your bodily health. I would say 10 days is plenty. You feel the detox symptoms and get over them by about day 5, and after that it’s pretty much reiterating the point. Of course this is just my opinion. This diet will cause you to lose weight though, so if you’re not in it for that, then you may want to stick to a shorter fast length, or maybe just replace one or two meals per day with juice. That option won’t give you the same hard core detox, but it is definitely still good for your body.
3. Make sure you have support from those around you. I don’t know how I could have done this without the understanding of those I live with. They tried their best not to eat around me, and my boyfriend actually committed to doing it with me, so I had a partner through the whole thing. Without support, you will feel overwhelmed, and sad that you can’t partake in the food everyone else is eating. Also, some people may think this fast is a bad idea, and let you know it…constantly…and annoyingly. This is NOT good for your will power, and it may be better to avoid those people until your fast is over.
4. Keep in mind that it’s only a short period of time. Think back to a 10 day stretch of last year…can you remember much about it? Probably not. This fasting will fade in your memory like anything else. So, if you just stick with it, knowing it’s not permanent and you make sure not to fight it the whole way, you’ll be a lot happier throughout the fast.
5. Be prepared to stay full. This should really be #1 because it’s so important. You can’t get through this diet if you’re hungry. It sucks. Buy fruit and veg in bulk, make large batches of juices that will last you for a couple of meals, and plan ahead if you’re going to be out late, etc. I can’t stress this point enough.
Again, I’m not an expert, I’ve only done this for 10 days, but I know what I went through, and what I would like to have known before hand.
I won’t list my juices today, because they were both pretty foul. I guess I’m not an expert on recipes yet!
Congratulations to everyone who has completed their 10 day juice fast reboot, and good luck to those just starting or those partially through it all!
I’m glad I did it, I’m glad it’s over, and I can’t wait to eat healthy and keep this new squeaky clean rebooted body detoxed!
Thanks for reading. I’ll continue to write about post-juicing info for anyone interested!